"HOW SHALL WE THEN LIVE?" Francis Schaeffer

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Rudyard Kipling's brilliant works are continuing to fade into the land of Lost Genius.
I doubt he's studied in school or college anymore. He lacks political correctness, his prose is dated but so much of it is magnificent. We can still learn from R.K.

Here's the last couple of paragraphs from Rudyard Kipling's GUNGA DIN

'E carried me away
To where a dooli lay,
An' a bullet come an' drilled the beggar clean.
'E put me safe inside,
An' just before 'e died:
"I 'ope you liked your drink," sez Gunga Din.
So I'll meet 'im later on
In the place where 'e is gone
Where it's always double drill and no canteen;
'E'll be squattin' on the coals
Givin' drink to pore damned souls,
An' I'll get a swig in Hell from Gunga Din!

Din! Din! Din!
You Lazarushian-leather Gunga Din!
Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
By the livin' Gawd that made you,
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

No comments: