"HOW SHALL WE THEN LIVE?" Francis Schaeffer

Friday, June 24, 2005

I don't smoke, though in the Clint Eastwood era of sphaghetti westerns (the The Good, The Bad and The Ugly) I attempted to copy his style by periodically puffing on small thin cigars.

But the only smoking that has ever attracted me is smoking a pipe. However we're all aware of the considerable health issues that arise from smoking; and apparently a pipe is one of the worst. But I came across this on thinklings.com.

I Smoke and Worship God
Posted by Jared @ 10:30 am - permalink

I smoke cigars, not a pipe, but I love this poem by Johann Sebastian Bach:

Whene'er I take my pipe and stuff it
And smoke to pass the time away
My thoughts, as I sit there and puff it,
Dwell on a picture sad and grey:
It teaches me that very like
Am I myself unto my pipe.
Like me this pipe, so fragrant burning,
Is made of naught but earthen clay;
To earth I too shall be returning,
And cannot halt my slow decay.
My well used pipe, now cracked and broken,
Of mortal life is but a token.

( Another few lines and then this final line)

Thus o'er my pipe in contemplation
Of such things - I can constantly
Indulge in fruitful meditation,
And so, puffing contentedly,
On land, at sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God.

No comments: