"HOW SHALL WE THEN LIVE?" Francis Schaeffer

Saturday, April 09, 2005



Some thoughts on aging found on Challies

"As I thought about this, I remembered an article R.C. Sproul Jr. posted recently. He says, "When I last crossed a decade barrier in my own aging process, God was good enough to grant me this small bit of wisdom. The Bible honors age, not youth. I came to understand that the disappearance of my youth was something God thought a good thing, and if I were wise, I would agree. Now a decade later and I have been given this bit of wisdom; easier said than done." Sproul is absolutely correct that the Bible honors age above youth. This is not to say that the Bible marginalizes young people, but that it sees them in their proper perspective - as people who are far less wise than the aged."

He goes on to say...

"Until then, let us honor the aged. Let us give double-honor to those with grey hair. Let us stand in their presence and give them the honor God requires. Let our hope and confidence be in the words of the Psalmist who says, "Those who are planted in the house of the Lord shall flourish in the courts of our God. They shall still bear fruit in old age; they shall be fresh and flourishing (Psalm 92:13,14).""

JB here. I'm not real old but I'm rapidly getting there. What I've learned from my patients in the nursing home - life is brief and so little that was important when young is important when old. Live Today - for all you are worth. This is the last time you will ever live April 9th, 2005. JB

No comments: