"HOW SHALL WE THEN LIVE?" Francis Schaeffer

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Found in Today Florida Times Union

DARE TO ASK: Men from the South: Dangerous?

Question

Movies portray Southern men as potentially dangerous. Images of evil sheriffs and psychopathic swamp dwellers come to mind whenever I'm south of Peoria. The stereotype is definitely out there. I'd love to hear from others about it. Tom, 42, white, Wheaton, Ill.

JB here: Well I've lived in the South 25 years now and my own experience is thus. There's been a frustrating lack of "whup ass", particularly on the street where I've resided for the past 14 years. I do admit that once while riding my bike, a particularly obnoxious teenager in a white Mustang, chose to unnecessarily drive right next to me triggering some ugly expressions from my mouth that he could observe from his rearview mirror. ON this temporarily deserted road, he screeched to a stop and started backing up towards my bike. "Hmm" I thought, "This could be bad." Bike (17 pounds) vs Car (2500). So I came to a stop. Luckily he did too. He yelled something, probably a profanity, got back in his car and took off. Can I say I was mostly relieved? I mean, just look at the attire bicylist wear. Real men wouldn't be caught dead in tight, black spandex shorts and gaudy silk tops more appropriate for a Parisian Gay Parade (not that there's anything wrong with that).

But anyhow, the South seems pretty darn civil to me though there are areas where fights seem probable on any given Friday night.

To read more, return to the Florida Times Union article.

No comments: