"HOW SHALL WE THEN LIVE?" Francis Schaeffer

Monday, August 01, 2005

Ya gotta love some of the quotes you come across while surfing the web. How about this one?

"I invite each of you to sit down in front of your own television set when your station goes on the air and stay there for the day. . . . I can assure you that what you will observe is a vast wasteland."

Newton N. Minow, FCC chairman (May 9, 1961)

Newton called it right. And it's even worse than it was in 1961 though there's far more programs available. It's STILL A WASTELAND! But, we keep watching. (I don't watch TV everyday but I do admit to liking the reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond and Seinfeld. This comes on at 7:00 and 7:30 respectively. And because I can be rather addictive, I don't have cable or satellite TV. I've just get local stations and use rabbit-ears - which don't work particularly well however. Finally, I still watch a LOT of football; pro and college. But not as much as I used to. Whew; confession is good for the soul. JB)

No comments: