"HOW SHALL WE THEN LIVE?" Francis Schaeffer

Monday, May 23, 2005

Dr. Albert Mohler's address to the graduating seniors of Union University - May 21 2005

..............................
There is a sense in which that’s exactly what we would like to take place here tonight. We would like to have some time traveler from the future come to May 2005, emerge even here tonight from your class, to tell us where you have been and where you have gone. We would welcome a visitor from this class who could return from the future—to come back and tell us what you have seen, what you have done, what you have experienced, what you have witnessed. What about the impact you have left in the world?

It would be incredible if tonight we could have some visitor from the future, from your class, come and tell what you have done. For tonight, we have to look forward in hope, in confidence, and in anticipation. But the time is shorter than it appears. You look healthy. You look vigorous. You look ready. But you are going to die.

The time for all of us is far shorter than first appears. I can remember all too poignantly sitting exactly where you sit. Now I have to picture sitting with your parents, as my children will all too soon sit with you. For some the time will be longer, for some the time shorter. In the span of eternity, even in the expanse of human history, the time is short for all of us.

JB here: The years do rush by. I quite vividly remember standing in line in the parking lot of my high school wearing my blue gown 39 years ago (1966). I ask myself on a regular basis, "How can it be almost 40 years since I graduated from high school?"
So I find myself, to paraphrase Dr. Mohler, looking a) not too healthy, b) not to vigorous, c) not too ready, d) much much closer to dying than 39 years ago.
If there is a God, will He find me ready? I hope so because I have eternity in front of me.

No comments: