"HOW SHALL WE THEN LIVE?" Francis Schaeffer

Monday, December 05, 2005

Whoa! Discipleship? Hmmm

Let’s not go to “whole hog” with this Discipleship thingy.

The point is, am I prepared deliberately to give up my right to myself to Jesus Christ? Prepared to say, "Yes, take complete control"? If I am, Jesus Christ has gained a disciple. We don't go in for making disciples today, it takes too long; we are all for passionate evangelism-taken up with adding to denominational membership, taken up with things which show splendid success. Jesus Christ took the long, long trail- "If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself-"Take time to make up your mind." Men were not to be swept into the Kingdom on tidal waves of evangelism, not to have their wits paralyzed by supernatural means; they were to come deliberately, knowing what they were doing. One life straight through to God on the ground of discipleship is more satisfactory in His sight than numbers who are saved but go no further.
Oswald Chamber    (Hattip - Slice of Laodicea)

I’m an American; denying myself seems somehow unpatriotic.  <grin>

No comments: