"HOW SHALL WE THEN LIVE?" Francis Schaeffer

Friday, September 02, 2005

JABBAR GIBSON My hero

JABBAR GIBSON;  My hero of the week.

So Jabbar (20) somehow gets his hand on a school bus and begins to pick up strangers looking to get out of New Orleans until the bus is full and they head for Houston.  They pool their money to buy gasoline ( X 3) and diapers for the babies on board.  They arrive in Houston and are initially told they can’t stay but after about 20 minutes of discussion wiser heads prevail and they are the first refugees welcomed into the stadium.

Jabbar, instead of waiting around for something to happen actually took a major step of initiative and became a “change agent.”  He had never driven a bus and he had never rescued people.  But he had guts, initiative and a strong common sense which told him; let’s just get out of here anyway we can.

I would like to think that maybe I too in a similar situation would seize opportunity; but I’m not so sure of my response.  I’ve not been one to take a lot of initiative in my life.  But I can change.

As for my adult children;  If you’re reading this be sure and memorize the name,  Jabbar Gibson, and the story.  Then if you’re ever in an emergency and an outlandish opportunity presents itself;   GO FOR IT!  

I want to see Jabbar on the cover of TIME and NEWSWEEK!    

You Go Jabbar!  May God bless you and your family.  Your courage brought tears to my eyes.    JB

No comments: