"HOW SHALL WE THEN LIVE?" Francis Schaeffer

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Flying the unfriendly skies

Tomorrow I'm scheduled to fly from Florida to Calif. I'm made the flight many times; I dread it each time.
Here's the problem. A) I'm cheap so I always buy a seat in the slum/ghetto area of the airliner. B) I'm semi-massive these days. I'm 6'4" and weigh somewhere around 250. Economy class seating was not planned for the likes of me.

Okay, here's my plan. I'm flying American Airlines their M80 plane. I discovered 2 months ago the magnificence of seat 7 D. 7 D in at the bulkhead and on the aisle. I can actually stretch my long legs with size 14 feet without barking my shins on the seat in front of me. And because it's a bulkhead; there is NO seat in front of me. SWEET!

When you buy your tickets online you get some seat choices. But they won't let you choose a bulkhead seat or an exit row (which on the M80 provides nice leg room).

So here's my plan; I'll print out my boarding pass tonight and show up at the ticket counter at "oh-dark-30" hoping to be first in line. If I'm lucky they'll give me D7 assumig nobody else has reserved it. That would be "muy bueno."

Next time you're flying an M80 - American ask for row 7; the bulkhead. Even if you don't get seat D you ll be far better off.

No comments: