"HOW SHALL WE THEN LIVE?" Francis Schaeffer

Monday, March 27, 2006

Mendacity & Schizophrenia

A Fine paragraph on the human condition by Joe Carter of the Evangelical Outpost.


Mendacity is difficult to uproot from one’s own character, yet withers on the vine when exposed to the light of public scrutiny. Not all deficiencies in character, of course, benefit from public exposure. And I’ll readily admit that I’ve committed worse sins than claiming someone else’s work as my own, skeletons that I hope remain deeply buried. But having my own act of plagiarism exposed was an invaluable lesson. I recognized the fragility of integrity and learned to guard it jealously.

Being honest and transparent is a lifelong challenge.  If you’re totally transparent; you’re probably a schizophrenic.  That’s not good.  There are things that need not be said.  But if you’re given to lying on a chronic basis; that’s probably worse than being a schizophrenic.  

No comments: