"HOW SHALL WE THEN LIVE?" Francis Schaeffer

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Trying to read the tea leaves instead of Scripture

Misreading God
by Dan Phillips

Reading providence is a fool's game, yet it never lacks players.

Discontented with Scripture, yearning for something God never promises, countless Christians read feelings, circumstances, events, hoping to discern God's personal coded messages in them. They may not use tea-leaves and chicken gizzards, but they no less are acting as diviners rather than divines. The results can be devastating and enslaving.


Dan Phillips of teampyro.blogspot.com has called it. We are not satisfied with God's Word; we want uber magic. (I think God's telling me I need to run to Denny's and have a "Grand Slam" before I go to work today. On that basis I'm over - and - out)

No comments: